REDUCING PLASTIC WASTE
One Restaurant at a Time
The Ocean Friendly Restaurants program offers restaurants an easy way to show their commitment to making sustainable choices for our ocean. The program increases awareness, drives change in behavior and ultimately creates scalable impact to reduce plastic waste. Interested in becoming a Surfrider Ocean Friendly Restaurant Member? Sign up below!
We have so many amazing restaurants in Monterey County, and many diners visit or live here because they love our beautiful bay and coastline. Restaurants are big contributors to the trash we find in our beach cleanups. Ocean Friendly Restaurants are committed to protecting the ocean by cutting styrofoam, single-use containers, and cutting back on plastic straws.
Our Ocean Friendly Restaurant program was founded by students at Chartwell School.
WHAT MAKES A RESTAURANT OCEAN FRIENDLY?
Restaurants participating must follow the first five criteria:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining, and disposable utensils for takeout food are provided only upon request.
- No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders.
- Straws are provided only upon request.
And choose a minimum of two of these criteria:
- No beverages sold in plastic bottles.
- Discount is offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis
- All seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts, such as low-flow faucets and toilets, are implemented.
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances, are in place.
Restaurants who meet all of the criteria are recognized as a Platinum Level Ocean Friendly Restaurant.